Fibromyalgia Treatment in Loveland
Fibromyalgia is a long-term condition that causes widespread pain and tenderness in your muscles and soft tissues. It is a syndrome, meaning it has a set of symptoms that typically occur together, but there is no known cause for the symptoms. The pain and tenderness tend to come and go and are located in different areas of the body. Fibromyalgia affects about 3-5 percent of the general population and it is most common in women; however, men, as well as children, can also develop the disorder. There are certain conditions which may increase the risk of fibromyalgia, including rheumatic diseases, such as lupus, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Fibromyalgia can disrupt your life and it is impossible to predict how it will exactly affect each person; the symptoms may change from day to day. However, there are some common symptoms associated with fibromyalgia and the good news is there are treatment options available through Gateway Family Chiropractic to help relieve your symptoms.
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
Although there is no exact known cause for developing the symptoms of fibromyalgia, researchers theorize that the symptoms sometimes begin following a physical trauma, infection, surgery or significant psychological stress. In other situations, the symptoms appear gradually and accumulate over time without a specific triggering event. Some of the most common symptoms may include:
- Muscle aches, which is generally the first symptom of fibromyalgia. Many people with fibromyalgia complain of an aching, deep muscle pain that cannot be stretched out. It may feel like a pulled muscle, but may also have a burning, aching sensation.
- Headaches, specifically chronic headaches or migraines are a common symptom of about half of all fibromyalgia suffers. Although the exact relationship between fibromyalgia pain and headaches is not known, it is thought to be a chemical imbalance. Headaches tend to come on suddenly and may be triggered by other muscle pains.
- Tender points have been identified by experts as being found on the front of the neck, the back of head, between the shoulders, the elbows, top of the chest, inside of the knees and tops of the hips. The tenderness in these areas may occur in only a few spots or you may feel tenderness in several different places.
- Fatigue is an extremely common symptom of fibromyalgia. The joint stiffness and muscle pain often make it difficult to sleep, resulting in chronic fatigue. It has also been shown that restless leg syndrome and sleep apnea often occur with fibromyalgia.
- Insomnia, problems falling asleep and frequently waking up during the night are also common side effects of fibromyalgia.
- In some situations, the physical pain of fibromyalgia may have an effect on your ability to solve problems or think clearly. This cognitive problem is often referred to as “fibro fog”.
Can a Chiropractor in Loveland CO Help With Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
New medications have been recently developed to treat those with fibromyalgia; however, many people find that the medications only mask the pain and their symptoms as well as produce a range of unwanted side effects. Gateway Family Chiropractic will perform a detailed medical history in order to gain a complete understanding of how this condition is affecting you. Your chiropractor in Loveland CO will check your spinal alignment, muscles and soft tissue and recommend a comprehensive plan for treatment. Chiropractic care is an all-natural form of care that generally includes hands-on therapies, exercise programs and specialized chiropractic techniques, such as spinal alignments, which may help to improve joint motion and reduce your pain. Treatment options available through your chiropractor may include:
- Massage therapy
- Physical therapy
- Heat and ice therapy
- Electric stimulation
- Nutritional counseling
Learn From Our Twin Chiropractors
Chiropractic care from Gateway Family Chiropractic is becoming increasingly popular among those who are suffering from fibromyalgia, because of the stress and pain relief chiropractic care offers. One of the ways chiropractors aim to solve your pain and other related symptoms of fibromyalgia is by correcting the imbalances in your skeletal structure. Through various techniques, including adjustments, stretches and manipulations, your chiropractor in Loveland CO will restore your skeletal balance, ultimately relieving your pain and other symptoms.
Contact Gateway Family Chiropractic in Loveland CO today to learn more information about the treatment options we have available to help relieve your symptoms of fibromyalgia